Saturday, May 2, 2020

Artist 6: Jonathan Meese

Artist 6: Jonathan Meese


Conceptual artist Jonathan Meese approaches his work with intentions to provoke and directly interrogate common notions of art. His mixed media paintings in particular encapsulate an almost uncategorisable yet vibrant chaos. Adopting aesthetics seemingly derived from mythological renaissance paintings, they become tapestries that resemble figures and scenes, with Meese often inserting his own image into his work.


Meese’s tone and message are an aspect I really enjoy about his work, as well as his pairings of colours and the chaotic form usually included. His approach is one that I would like to explore in my work, experimenting with an unconventional form and a blatant, loud tone. This would work particularly well for the messages I would like to convey.  



Diese Miss Ist Nicht Von Dieser Welt, 2018




Django's Blitzpimme Heisst Nill, 2011




Achtung: Killernill-Rum Und Rum-Neddy-Cashy Pimmeln RUM, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment