Friday, May 1, 2020

Artist 5: Despina Stokou

Artist 5: Despina Stokou


Despina Stokou enjoys exploring the idea of communication and monologues in her work, by presenting collected data in the form of expressive, vivid paintings. The way in which this text is displayed implies confusion and anger through the intensely frantic layering of words and phrases, representing constant a constant string of absurdities such as her work ‘The Martin Creeds 6’. This uses a deep red background combined with a photo and sporadic, obsessive text.


I love the way in which Stokou presents the text, and I would like to employ a similar method of layering it in my work, overwhelming the viewer. In addition to this, I would also like to convey a similar atmosphere of panic and exasperation in my own work, as I feel as if this would really highlight the intent of my work in particular.



The Martin Creeds 6, 2013


New Year Pie (Louisa), 2014


White Lies, 2018





No comments:

Post a Comment