Artist 3: Albert Oehlen
Often self imposing restrictions in his painting process, Albert Ohlen’s artwork becomes ‘post-figurative’, exploring the process of the paint medium rather than the subject matter itself. His earlier work is described as using a Junge Wilde painting style; a blend of broad and expressive brushstrokes with intense, bright colours. Oehlen’s work such as ‘Music Always’ is slightly different however as he painted directly onto pre-printed fabric intended for use on a billboard.
I like the idea that Oehlen has somewhat defaced what previously was on the fabric with a combination of an earthy ‘smear’ and more expressionist painting techniques. I also enjoy the fact that he builds upon the artwork with three different types of paint, adding texture which paired with the painting style makes it appear more organic. This is a concept I would really like to convey in my own artwork.
Music Always, 1954
First Take, 1994
Ziggy Stargast, 2001



No comments:
Post a Comment